Monday, November 24, 2008

Monday Night Update

We saw my oncologist today. We were anticipating a report of the comparison of the two CT-scans, but the hospital lost the disc with the scan from September. I'm trying to be understanding, but they've only had it since Friday, and mine is the second one reported missing today! I stopped by the radiologist here in Clarkston to pick up another copy and will deliver it to my chemo nurse tomorrow.

My doctor explained his long-term plan. He said that I'll have chemo for six to eight more weeks, then we'll do a third CT-scan. If things have continued to improve, he will discontinue chemo and give me a different anti-estrogen drug in hopes that it will take over the control of the cancer. This is just one option, and things could change along the way, but it's good to have a plan in mind.

We're looking forward to this week. We're celebrating Thanksgiving with my family on Wednesday evening, then Scott and I are heading to Petoskey for a little getaway until Saturday.

On Sunday, my sister, Gail, and her family are coming in from Japan. They'll be in this area for December, and will move to Columbus, Ohio in January. We will finally meet our new nephew. He's almost nine months old. The girls are really anxious for some good time with our ten-year-old niece.

Thank you all for your prayers and encouraging comments. It has been fun to hear from old friends, make new friends, and have contact with those of you who are far away.

8 comments:

Jenney said...

Yeah for people moving to Ohio! (We live in Xenia, OH) But, don't let them become Ohio State fans...that would be terrible!
Hope all of your travels are fun and safe.
Love,
The Drays

Bunchy said...

They lost the disc??? Well, I guess the radiologist was cute, but dumb. Isn't that always the way????

Glad there's a plan. Love you.

Jaina said...

I'm sorry they lost the disc, I will be praying that everything turns out just as the doctor hopes. Have a fabulous Thanksgiving, it sounds like you have some great things planned. :)

Anonymous said...

They LOST the disc...errrrrr.....

We love Petoskey! Enjoy every moment!
Happy Thanksgiving.
Love
Dianne

Michele Dumortier said...

Michele Dumortier said...
You are truely a remarkable woman. I have been keeping up with your recovery through this blog spot. I remember when we were in high school and you were the strong one making sure I wouldn't fall from our mount in cheerleading. You have shown that being strong is one of your best character traits. I feel it every time I'm on this web site. Happy Thanksgiving to your entire family. Please give big hugs to your Mom and Gail for me.

Philippians 4:13 I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

Love,
Michele Dumortier (Torchia)

Anonymous said...

Donna,
I was directed to this blog a while back by my co-worker, Diane, when asking about how you were doing. It's a great site and I am amazed by you every time I come on here to check to see how you are doing! You are very inspiring and your outlook on life will no doubt help you win this battle. I just want to tell you to have a nice Thanksgiving and that you are in my prayers. Hug those precious girls and keep the faith.
Cathy (hygienist for Dr. VanderVeen)

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Donna, Scott , Rachel and Emily...Love from the Fosters xoxoxox we finally found a turkey here in AU, along with a leg of lamb (lots of those :-)

Anonymous said...

It was good to read about your Thanksgiving plans which I hope was much enjoyed. I thought about your family several times yesterday while my family and I, along with friends, enjoyed fellowship and food "out". No cooking or cleanup for us. Prayers for the 4 of you and your parents, mary jo