Monday, January 19, 2009

So Much

There is so much to think about and things I want to express, but I'm not going to be able to get them all in this post. I'm going to try and put out shorter ones over the course of time.

Here's what I'm thankful for over the last couple of days (in no particular order). I could write a lot about all of these things, but I'm just going to mention them and get them off my mind.

  • Modern Medicine
  • A family who really cares (natural and church)
  • A praying church family (wow! - Thank you all!)
  • Doctors who have wisdom and clear and quick thinking
  • Nurses who care
  • Information that is readily available (the world wide web)
  • A loving Father (Abba)
  • Quiet solitude
  • Prayer
  • Shared burdens

We met with the Doctor today. She was in serious trouble when we brought her in on Saturday night. I did not realize how bad. I understand now, that she had Sepsis leading to Septic shock, which is very serious. Things could have been much worse for her. I'm very thankful that she got into the hospital when she did.

Bottom line, she is at the tail end of the septic shock. This is wonderful news, as this has been our biggest concern over the last 24 hours. Since the Sepsis is a systemic thing, we have to see how all of this has effected her liver. Her liver is not doing as well as we had hoped. Her heart, lungs, and kidneys are all doing fine. She had an echo cardiogram today, but I don't know the results yet.

The doctor delivered this new to my parents and brother, Donna's parents and sister, and our pastor. He had requested a meeting with me and any family members that I would want there.

Tomorrow or the following day she is having a CT scan to help determine if the tumors on her liver have changed.

Donna can hardly talk right now... the sores in her mouth are bad, so she is really just whispering. Even close, sometimes it is hard to tell what she is saying.

Tomorrow I'm going to bring the girls up to see her. They have not seen her since late on Saturday, before they went to their Grandparent's house to spend the night.

Thanks to Beth Curd for sending out the following email, that pretty much sums it up...

"Hello everyone,

I don't think Scott has had time to update the blog and Beth Brown need not call everyone with an update, so I offered to send out this email. You may or may not know that the doctors requested to meet with Scott and the family this morning. That prompted a quick gathering to spend some time in group prayer for them. Thank you to those of you who were able to meet today at church to pray for Donna and Scott, Rachel and Emily and for those who are praying everywhere. It was a wonderful time of prayer for them and us. Scott and Donna and their parents met with the oncologist and the news is promising, though Donna's condition is still very serious. As far as the sepsis goes, things are looking better, and they see signs of her body improving. However Donna is still not out of the woods with it. Regarding her cancer, they just don't know at this point in time whether her condition has changed. Donna's organs are functioning well with the exception of her liver. Please keep praying.

Peace,

Beth Curd"

More later...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

No words have come to me today after reading about the suffering you both are going through. I marvel at your continued faith and trust and now, after having read what sounds like good news, I thank our awesome God. My prayers will continue for even better reports soon.

Anonymous said...

Was spending some time with the Lord this morning and he led me to this devo.

When the storms rage against us-and we find ourselves sailing in waters where we know the Lord has led us- we must do likewise. We must bind ourselves to the mast of the LORD Jesus and hold tight, trust in God to rebuke the storm that is raging against us, and, at the same time, preserve our lives and keep us strong in our faith.
"He calms the storm, so that its waves are still" Psalm 107:29

I am thanking God for being there for you - may he continue to give you eyes to see his presence and power.

Anonymous said...

Praying too that God will heal Donna's liver.

Sue said...

Scott, Donna, you and the girls are in my heart and in my prayers. God IS bigger than all of this. Please know that I am praying for healing. Stay strong Scott. You are one of God's best warriors! Sue

Janet said...

Scott,
My family and I are praying for you. We want to be able to recieve your emails. Ours is dbeam@bellsouth.net. Please keep us posted on any family emergency news. We had to call around last night to find out anything and did not know how long it would be until you posted anyting on this blog.
- Your cousin Janet Kent Beam

Anonymous said...

"Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailig love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed." Is 54.10